ConGHughesed

"ConGHughesed" is intended to be a play on words. I had a fraternity brother in college who used to wear a shirt with "GhOTi" on it, and he was so proud that if you said it correctly, his shirt read "fish". In that spirit, the title of my blog is intended to be a bit of double entendre- both "confused" and borrowing from Latin ("con" meaning "with") (and another tribute to my high school Latin teacher), my blog title "With Geoff Hughes".

Life can be confusing but maybe together we can share some big thoughts and ideas that make life less confusing and more interesting.

There are a variety of topics of interest I will write about, including cars, beer, wine, books, skiing, Duke basketball, and I'm sure other things over time.

Its important to understand that these opinions are my own, and not those of my employer.

Welcome, I look forward to a fun collaborative dialog!

Geoff

Saturday, January 30, 2010

What Keeps You Blogging?

I have not been real faithful to this new (to me) art of blogging in the past ten days, and its now readily apparent to me why the most interesting bloggers write daily. By making a daily blog part of the routine, it provides a more consistent experience for the blogger and his audience. I need to thank Daniel Pink for introducing me to Csikszentmihalyi's concept of "flow"- I've not read it yet, but it is on my list. I have a sneaking suspicion that bloggers write because there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had while you are "in flow", and self expression through blogging might just be one gateway for writers to enter flow.

I thought about titling this entry, "Change is Hard", "The Joy of Blogging" or even "Struggles of a New Blogger". There are so many topics to tee up in my head, its almost as if there is a cacophony of voices straining for their turn at expression. A lot of my "pre-blog" reading seems to focus on consistency of voice/topic. I think that kind of singularity of focus does not come close to expressing the totality of who we are. I am a husband, a father, a dog person, a basketball fan, an amateur wine and beer aficionado, and I certainly have work/industry opinions I'd like to share as well.

Perhaps this consistency can express itself as a matter of tone, or perspective, rather than a narrow slice of our interests?

I realise as a "new blogger" its a lot to ask, but I am hopeful that both new and experienced bloggers alike will take a few short moments to share in the dialog about their struggles, or how they broke through and found their voice.

What keeps you blogging?

No comments:

Post a Comment